FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – A suspect in last week’s shooting at Glenbrook Square mall was arrested Thursday night and charged in connection to the case, and newly-released Allen Superior Court documents reveal what led to the shooting.

Fort Wayne Police took into custody 27-year-old Quentin Lewis, who police said was preliminarily charged with a Level 5 felony count of criminal recklessness and a Level 5 felony count of intimidation in relation to the shooting Sept. 1. After a court hearing Friday, Lewis was released on his own recognizance.

Quentin Lewis mugshot
Quentin Lewis

Police responded to the mall that day on numerous calls of gunshots– one of those calls being from the victim himself. Police determined an altercation took place between two men, leading to one shooting the other.

Court documents revealed the man who was shot and Lewis had multiple altercations that stemmed from an argument over a woman, according to court documents. It was the second shooting at the mall in less than two months, and the first also stemmed from an argument over a woman.

Officers found the victim shot in the leg near the fountain by JCPenney. Witnesses told Fort Wayne police officers the suspect fled. The shooting victim was reportedly stable but wouldn’t initially tell police who shot him even though the two men knew each other.

Nearly a week later, FWPD’s Gang and Violent Crimes Unit found Lewis near the intersection of Crescent Avenue and State Boulevard around 11:40 p.m. FWPD’s Homicide Unit and the Allen County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office also assisted in the investigation.

A woman identified in court documents as a witness told police there was “tension” between Lewis and the man who was shot because Lewis was making “rude and sexual comments” toward her in the barbershop recently.

A second witness told police there was a “scuffle” in the shop between Lewis and the man who was shot the day of the shooting where “chairs were being thrown” and the shop owner sprayed mace to stop the argument.

Court documents reveal the man who was shot also told police he was sprayed with mace beforehand, and he “was having problems with” Lewis at a barbershop in the mall. Police spoke with the shop’s manager, who said he had to escort the man out of the shop “numerous times” recently for harassing Lewis.

The day before the shooting, the shooting victim ran into the barbershop, “squared up” on Lewis and asked him if he could “slap” him, the manager told police in court documents. The situation that day was calmed down by other patrons, the manager said, and Lewis pointed his gun at the man to get him to leave.

The manager was told about the next day’s shooting, that it was preceded by pepper spray and that the man who ended up shot threw a chair at Lewis, prompting Lewis to shoot the man four times in the leg.

During Friday’s court hearing, it was revealed mall surveillance caught on camera Lewis leaving the mall with a handgun hanging out of his pocket. Lewis was ordered to stay away from the man he is accused of shooting.

WANE 15 spoke with FWPD Sgt. Jeremy Webb this week, who said the department has a good relationship with mall management and security. Webb said in general, the mall is a safe place, and measures are being taken to ensure safety, like doubling the number of off-duty officers for the mall’s security team and upgrading the surveillance system.

Lewis is due in court Sept. 13.