INDIANAPOLIS — Memorial Day is on Monday, and it’s the perfect opportunity to remember those who have served our country and fire up the grill to cook up some barbeque.
Private Chef and Culinary Instructor Kat Weathers joined the FOX59 Morning crew to share two recipes you’ll want to try for the holidays.
Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Orange Mayo
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, plus more as needed
- 1 to 2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup avocado or canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- 4 brioche hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Toppings of choice: lettuce, tomato, onions, bacon, etc
- To prepare the orange mayonnaise: Place egg yolk, garlic, orange juice, chipotle, and water in the bowl of a food processor. With the machine running, slowly add oil to form a thick sauce, stopping and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Season with salt, pepper, and additional orange juice and chipotle as needed.
- Place ground chicken in a medium mixing bowl and season with onion powder, garlic powder salt, pepper, and two tablespoons of orange mayonnaise and mix gently. Form into four patties. Keep refrigerated until ready to cook.
- Over medium-high temperature, grill burgers for about 5-6 minutes per side or until they are cooked through and reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- To serve: Top burgers with desired toppings and a dollop of chipotle orange mayonnaise.
Grilled Pound Cake with Mixed Berries
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 loaf of good quality store-bought or homemade pound cake, sliced into 8 portions
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 pint of strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, for brushing grill, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Whipped cream, optional
- Prepare a very hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to high.
- To prepare the berries: In a medium bowl, toss berries with granulated sugar. Mix well and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Over medium-high heat, brush each slice of pound cake on both sides with melted butter. Grill the cake until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve: Transfer the grilled pound cake to a plate. Top with whipped cream and berries.