WASHINGTON (AP) — Roger Stone, a staunch ally of President Donald Trump, has been sentenced to 40 months in prison on his convictions for witness tampering and lying to Congress.
The action in federal court comes amid Trump’s unrelenting defense of his longtime confidant that has led to a mini-revolt inside the Justice Department and allegations the president has interfered in the case.
Trump has denounced as a “miscarriage of justice” the initial recommendation by Justice Department prosecutors that Stone receive at least seven years in prison.
Attorney General William Barr then backed off that recommendation, prompting four prosecutors to quit Stone’s case.
Stone chose not to address the court at his sentencing.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Vote to chose the Downtown Holiday Window Decorating Contest winner
- Holiday trends to watch: Adult Play-Doh; stores that ship
- Hoosiers warned about deceptive mailings touting prizes
- Allen County reports 347 new virus cases; death toll hits 303
- Pandemic postpones national math, reading tests until 2022