BOSTON (AP) — Several dozen marchers and about as many counter-demonstrators have gathered in Boston for a “straight pride” parade.
A group called Super Happy Fun America announced the parade as Boston celebrated LGBTQ Pride Month earlier this summer.
The organizers say they believe straight people are an oppressed majority.
The parade, slated to start noon Saturday at Copley Plaza, was to travel through major downtown streets before ending with a rally at City Hall Plaza.
Police are deployed along the parade route and are using metal detectors and conducting bag checks.
Among the scheduled speakers is a leader of the Proud Boys, which the Anti-Defamation League describes as an “extremist conservative group.”
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Wayne Trace’s season comes to a close at the district championship
- Homestead wins gymnastics regional title for the first time in 20 years
- Fort Wayne’s win Streak extends to four games as K’s down Nailers 5-3
- Turnovers prove costly in Manchester spring football opener
- No. 9 Cougars open 2021 season by ppending Taylor Trojans 24-10