A bad electrical cord is being blamed for a small fire in the main sanctuary of a local church.
The fire damaged The Chapel’s Christmas set which couldn’t have come at a worse time. The Chapel, located at 2505 W. Hamilton Road, is getting ready for a series of Christmas concerts this weekend. One of them is a benefit for the Fort Wayne Rescue Mission.
The Chapel’s musical director, Cathy Hawks, said she noticed part of the Christmas set was on fire during rehearsal for their Sunday morning service.
“The fire was contained to what we called the stall, the manger scene on the Christmas set,” said Hawks. “There was wood, there was some straw in there and it was a faulty extension cord that caused it.”
Hawks said the church’s worship team put out the flames before firefighters arrived Sunday. However, smoke damaged a wall on the set and powder from the fire extinguishers filled the air. Crews and volunteers were out Monday cleaning up the damage.
“The work that is being done today is cleaning the floors, cleaning the chairs, cleaning the carpets on the stage, fixing up the wall where the damage was done,” said Hawks.
The fire canceled Sunday services and now time is ticking for the church. They are trying to fix everything before a benefit concert on Friday and their annual Christmas concerts this weekend. A number of church members were helping crews get the job done.
“I just knew that they had something needing to be done today and I had the time to do it,” said Pat Carter.
Hawks said she feels blessed that no one was hurt in the fire and is confident they’ll have everything ready for the concerts.
“This is a major inconvenience for us this week, but one that we are working with with a smile because we are just confident that everything is going to be okay.”
The benefit concert for the Rescue Mission is Friday at 6:30p.m.
Times for The Chapel’s other concerts can be found here.