Suspect in death of coach re-arrested

Local News

A Fort Wayne man long considered a suspect in the shooting death of a Fort Wayne Community Schools educator and coach and once arrested has again been arrested and charged.

Henry E. Underwood, a 24-year-old homeless man, was arrested Thursday in a traffic stop. He’s charged with murder, felony murder and attempted robbery related to the May 19, 2017, shooting death of Terrance L. Miles. Miles, who was an active youth mentor and coach in the city, was gunned down around 12:15 a.m. that mid-May morning near a parking lot entrance to East Central Towers apartments, along East Washington Boulevard just east of downtown Fort Wayne.

Underwood and another man – Jaevin Eugene Bowie – were a short time later linked to the killing and police had asked for the public’s help in finding the two. Bowie was arrested in February in Biloxi, Mississippi; he’s pleaded guilty and is set to be sentenced in September.

Underwood, meanwhile, was arrested during a traffic stop in June 2017 and charged with false informing and carrying a firearm with a prior felony conviction while investigators worked to tie him to the death of Miles. He was released from custody in February, though, because he was not brought to trial within six months as required by state law.

Prosecutors said in February they were waiting on DNA testing results to return in order to proceed with the case.

He’s scheduled to stand trial for the false information and handgun charges in September.

When Underwood was originally arrested two weeks after the murder, Miles family was happy.

“Thank you Jesus,” said Kathryn Miles, Terrance Miles’ grandmother, after Underwood’s initial arrest. “That was it. I’m so happy they have him off the streets.”

Miles’ grandmother did not want to be interviewed this time because she said she just doesn’t know what to feel with Underwood back in custody. Miles’ brother, Brandon, said despite the fact that Underwood is behind bars again, things have not gotten any easier.

“It’s been hard,” said Miles. “The hardest part is just knowing that, even though one of the guys may never see the light of day again and one is getting a little time, at the end of the day, he’s still going to never come back.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss