ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) — A sinkhole has forced an emergency closure of a section of northbound S.R. 3 in northwest Allen County.
INDOT said the sinkhole opened up on the shoulder of the northbound lanes of S.R. 3, between Gump Road and Old Lima Road in Huntertown.
The sinkhole is nine feet deep, 11 feet long, and 24 feet in width. INDOT shared these photos:
In a post Friday, INDOT explained recent excessive rain caused an underground pipe to burst, which washed away the earth beneath the roadway.
Crews were working to repair the roadway. It was expected to be completed this weekend, INDOT said.
INDOT has closed both northbound lanes so crews can safely assess and fix the issue.
Drivers should use Old Lima Road to West Gump Road to get around the closure, INDOT said.
- California family files lawsuit against Amazon after driver kills 2 year-old girl
- Tracking severe storms tonight
- AMLO confronted in Juarez after failing to meet with migrants, survivors of deadly fire
- Police respond to single-vehicle crash near intersection of Jefferson, Main
- 1 dead, 28 hurt after Illinois theater roof collapse before concert