ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) — A sinkhole has forced an emergency closure of a section of northbound S.R. 3 in northwest Allen County.
INDOT said the sinkhole opened up on the shoulder of the northbound lanes of S.R. 3, between Gump Road and Old Lima Road in Huntertown.
The sinkhole is nine feet deep, 11 feet long, and 24 feet in width. INDOT shared these photos:
In a post Friday, INDOT explained recent excessive rain caused an underground pipe to burst, which washed away the earth beneath the roadway.
Crews were working to repair the roadway. It was expected to be completed this weekend, INDOT said.
Drivers should use Old Lima Road to West Gump Road to get around the closure, INDOT said.
- Ex-Muncie cop admits attacking arrestees, falsifying reports
- 2,400 pounds of Oscar Mayer cold cuts recalled due to possible cross-contamination
- New baby box added to fire station in Aboite Township
- Apple Music offers a chance to sing with your favorites
- Tamagotchi, Ugg slippers and more-Shopping trends for 2022 prove what’s old is new again