Scotty’s Brewhouse back open after small fire

Local News

A popular southwest-side restaurant has reopened after it was briefly condemned due to a small fire.

Scotty’s Brewhouse at 6282 W. Jefferson Blvd. posted on Facebook on Thursday that “due to unforeseen circumstances, we are temporarily closed at our Fort Wayne location.”

The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health said that’s because a fire broke out early Thursday.

According to a health department inspection report, a fire broke out around 12:45 a.m. in a dryer in the laundry room of the restaurant. A manager put it out with an extinguisher, but it set off the restaurant’s sprinkler system.

“The pile of towels that were in the dryer was sopping wet.  I had pulled out the towels that were burned, and dumped out an entire fire estinguisher into the dryer where it was on fire and waited around for about a half hour….Went back and checked on it again, put some more water on it,more fire estinguisher and left for the night,” said David Paetz, General Manager of Scotty’s Brewhouse.

That’s when David says the towels reignited setting off the sprinkler system.

After that standing water was found throughout the kitchen, dry storage area and laundry room, the report said. Smoke damage was found on the ceiling and walls in the laundry room area leading to the kitchen area, and in the back storage area of the kitchen.

After the inspection, the building department condemned the restaurant, and a “Closure” sign was placed on the front door by the health department. The restaurant was given a list of 11 items that needed to be completed before the health department would allow it to re-open.

That happened just after noon Friday. The health department confirmed to WANE 15 that Scotty’s had been cleared to reopen for business and the restaurant’s GM said it was serving again.

The fire department reported it would fine Scotty’s after a broken monitor panel was found during the inspection. The restaurant was also to be fined for not reaching out to them when the fire started, the report said.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss