Local News

Victims identified in Garrett building fire

GARRETT, Ind. (WANE) - Two people were killed and another hospitalized in a fire at a downtown Garrett building early Monday.

Firefighters were called around 12:30 a.m. to Hall’s Sleeping Rooms in the 100 block of South Randolph Street. Garrett Fire Chief Ted Christensen said crews arrived to find flames and smoke rising from the brick building, which houses "sleeping rooms" available for rent.

 Christensen said the fire broke out in the living area of the building, but it's not clear yet what the cause of the fire was. A state fire marshall and state police detectives were on scene trying to piece together what sparked the flames.

According to our partners at KPC Media, Christensen identified the victims as Bill Lawson, 64, and Wanda Lawson, 56. 

It's not clear how many people were in the building at the time of the fire. WANE 15's Ruben Solis spoke to a resident who said he had lived at Hall's Sleeping Rooms for 16 years and lost everything. 

On the first floor of the building, a thrift shop that's going out of business sustained smoke damage.


Don't Miss

Latest News - Local