Power largely restored after wind storm; clean-up underway

Local News
20190224_151339_HDR_1551052250277.jpg

Repair work continued Monday after a wind storm Sunday that killed power to thousands and left damage throughout the area.

Indiana Michigan Power said Monday that as of 4 p.m., it had restored power to 94 percent of the some 27,000 customers who lost service as a result of Sunday’s wind storm. From Muncie to Marion to Fort Wayne, fewer than 100 customers were still without power, the power company said.

Crews made progress after Sundays winds died down into Monday.

Sustained winds on Sunday were recorded around 30 mph, and wind gusts blew up to 65 mph. The winds toppled trees and brought down branches and limbs into power lines, and caused other problems affecting power.

The heavy winds also caused damage to several buildings. One building at the corner of Maumee and Grant avenues even had its roof blown off.

Indiana Michigan Power also reported at least a dozen poles broke as a result of the high winds. 

I&M said more than 400 of its employees and contractors were working to restore power across Indiana and southwest Michigan Sunday night. Crews continued working through the evening, but they weren’t allowed to work more than 16 hours straight for safety reasons.

Because the heavy winds continued through the night, I&M said new outages kept being reported throughout the day, making it more difficult to determine a time when restoration would be complete. 

You can check an updated outage map here.

People in Warsaw and KREMC linemen also had a long day of dealing with heavy winds and damage. 

KREMC crews were out in full force starting before dawn Sunday. More than 2,800 customers were without power at one point. 

By the afternoon, most customers in the Warsaw area had their power fully restored. 

The remaining areas without power took longer to resolve because poles had broken in those areas.

I&M suggests anyone still without power to seek shelter somewhere else to avoid cold temperatures. Officials also warn people to be careful using alternative heat sources like generators and propane space heaters, as they can pose fire or carbon monoxide hazards.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss