FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – A situation involving the Fort Wayne Police Department’s SWAT Unit and people inside a home on the south side of the city ended late Thursday afternoon around 4:30 p.m.

A WANE 15 crew at the scene watched as a man and woman exited the Barr Street home.

Officers at the scene forced the woman to the ground before leading her away from the area of the home. They also forced the man to the ground and then handcuffed his hands behind his back.

Officers surrounded the house, which is located near South Side High School, earlier Thursday afternoon.

Heavy-armor vehicles, SWAT teams and investigators were at the scene with tactical gear and high-powered rifles. County negotiators were also brought to the scene. A section of the road was also taped off.

Officers made multiple attempts to get the occupants to leave the home voluntarily but eventually used a distraction device before breaching the front door. It was unknown by police on the scene whether individuals in the home were being held against their will or if they were refusing to come out.

After the front door was breached occupants refused to leave the home making police deploy gas.

The FWPD activity log shows officers first responded to the 3700 block of Barr Street around 10:55 a.m. on reports of a domestic disturbance. FWPD confirmed that the SWAT response came as a follow-up to the initial domestic disturbance call.

An FWCS spokesperson sent out a statement saying, “The students at South Side High School will be released on time. We are working with the FWPD to establish safe routes for students.”

Police say that 6 individuals exited the residence, including the victim and suspect.

The suspect, Trae Bennett, age 28, was arrested on preliminary charges of;

  • Domestic Battery causing Moderate Bodily Injury, Felony
  • Invasion of Privacy with Prio Conviction, Felony
  • Criminal Confinement, Felony

This incident remains under investigation by the Fort Wayne Police Department and the Allen County Prosecutor’s Office.