In preparation for the holiday shopping season, the Fort Wayne Police Department released a list of shopping safety tips on Monday.
– Preplan your outing. Let someone know where you will be shopping, your intended route and your return time. Also make sure they know the make, model, color and license plate number your vehicle.
– Only use one credit card. Should there be a security breach, you will reduce the risk of having multiple cards compromised.
– Never allow the sales clerk put your receipt into your shopping bag with your items. Should that bag be stolen or lost an offender can return those items without question.
– Keep your purse close to your body or your wallet in an inside coat pocket or front pants pocket.
– Don’t remove cash until the moment you are ready to make a purchase.
– Never argue or fight over an item.
– Be patient when looking for a parking spot.
– Park in a well-lit area.
– Look around your vehicle before approaching it.
– If possible, store shopping bags out of plain sight, in your trunk.
– Look for other vehicles in the parking lot. Drive defensively and don’t allow road rage to rise.
– Know the weather forecast and dress and drive accordingly.
– Shop with a group. There is safety in numbers.
– If shopping with children make sure that you have identified a central location to meet in the event that you become separated.
– Ensure that your cell phones work “inside” the retail location.
– If shopping online, make sure that your packages will be arriving when someone is at home to accept it. A package left on the porch is easily stolen.