Juvenile shoots self in Fort Wayne Airport parking lot, dies at hospital

Local News

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) — The Fort Wayne Police Department and several agencies responded to what they called a “suicidal threat” in the parking lot of Fort Wayne International Airport Saturday.

Police officers were first called to the area around 12:04 p.m. Members of the SWAT team were called out as well.

Police gave the all clear around 3:30 p.m. and let vehicles back into the parking lot and people to be dropped off at the entrance.

Officers on scene told WANE 15 that a man with a gun was inside a vehicle threatening suicide. We were told a negotiator tried to make contact with him for close to 2 hours.

In a press release, Fort Wayne Police spokesman Mark Bieker confirmed to WANE 15 that a male juvenile shot himself inside the vehicle after police set off chemical agents as an attempt to stop the situation.

According to Bieker, the juvenile was suffering from a gunshot wound. Officers rendered first aid on scene and he was then taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Doctors pronounced him dead a short time after his arrival at the hospital.

The victim’s name and cause and manner of death will be released by the Allen County Coroner’s Office.

The incident is being investigated by the Fort Wayne Police Department and Allen County Coroner’s Office. 

Police blocked off the entrance to the airport for some time while the situation unfolded.

The Fort Wayne Airport also closed the terminal entrance, including all entrances and exits to the terminal building. They tweeted the following:

The airport also said “because the threat is outside the building, entry and exit ways must be blocked off for the safety of all passengers.”

Officials with Fort Wayne Airport later tweeted this:

The airport’s website shows only one flight to Chicago was canceled. It was scheduled for 2:12 p.m.

Earlier Saturday afternoon, viewers reported to WANE 15 that all ticketing counters appeared to be closed and that no one was being let out of the building.

The pictures below were sent to us by viewers:

The Fort Wayne Police Department, Emergency Services Team, Crisis Response Team, and Air Support Unit all responded to the scene.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss