Firefighter hurt in near-downtown house fire

Local News
1215 Wall Street house fire_278520

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) A near-downtown home was damaged by fire early Thursday.

Fort Wayne Fire crews were called just after 9:30 a.m. to a home at 1215 Wall St., between the General Electric campus and Swinney Park southwest of downtown Fort Wayne, on a report of a fire.

Fire broke out at a home at 1215 Wall St. in Fort Wayne on Thursday, Aug. 24, 2017.

Officials at the scene said fire broke out in the kitchen of the two-story home, which is divided into apartments. Occupants of one of the apartments reportedly smelled smoke and evacuated the building, and alerted a neighbor to evacuate.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames rising from a rear window of the home, according to a report. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze within nine minutes.

Three residents were able to escape the fire without harm, though one firefighter suffered a slight burn to his ear while fighting the fire. A firefighter rescued a dog from an upstairs apartment, the report said.

The cause of the fire was electrical wire arcing, the report said.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss