Fort Wayne City Council has made a major vote that will contribute to the fate of Electric Works.
Tuesday night, they voted to contribute $10 million in Legacy funds and $3.5 million in CEDIT funds to the project.
City Council needed 6 votes for the project to pass. Councilmen Barranda, Didier, Freistroffer, Crawford, Hines, and Paddock voted “yes”.
Councilmen Arp, Ensley and Jehl voted “no”.
Developer RTM Ventures has asked for $65 million in local public funds for the project, which is expected to cost a total of about $300 million.
Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry issued a statement on the vote, saying:
“We continue to make progress on an important and unique initiative for Fort Wayne and northeast Indiana. Tonight’s preliminary votes by City Council in favor of Legacy and CEDIT allocations for Electric Works are another step forward in the process to make the project a reality. Successful public-private partnerships are critical to enhancing our ability to be a point of destination for jobs and excellent quality of life amenities.”
Councilman Russ Jehl spoke with WANE 15 earlier in the week. He remained open to the project, but wanted the legacy money to be given as a loan and to be paid back, and not just a grant.
Electric Works spokesman Kevin Erb says the project should be viewed as an investment.
The announcement comes on the heals of a decision by Parkview Health. Earlier Tuesday, Parkview said they want to occupy some space for a healthcare clinic, geared at helping the medically under-served. Find that full story here.
There will be a final vote on the proposal next week.