FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – Fort Wayne crews responded to a downtown car fire on Sunday night near the time when the 4th of July fireworks were being shot off from the Indiana Michigan Power building.
According to police logs, crews responded to the car fire on the 200 block of West Main Street just after 10 p.m., just in front of Peerless Cleaners. According to Fort Wayne Deputy Fire Chief Adam O’Connor, fireworks were accidentally set off in the passenger seat, resulting in the car to catch on fire.
“All we know is when they got there, the fireworks were discharging inside a moving vehicle, or what was a moving vehicle, so a very dangerous situation not only for them, but everybody that was driving on the street at the time, so we want to be very cautious when transporting those,” O’Connor said.
Justin Harmon submitted this video of the car on fire on Sunday night.
“As a precaution we want to make sure that everybody recognizes that they should transport fireworks somewhere that is not the passenger compartment of the car,” O’Connor added. “Never have smoking materials like cigarettes around those fireworks.
Another viewer shared this video of the fire from Sunday night.
O’Connor also confirmed no one was injured Sunday night.