EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say a man has died after a “physical fight” with Evansville police officers.
Officers were called on a report of an intoxicated man at a restricted area of a car dealership Friday evening. Police say the man wasn’t cooperating as they tried to take him into custody. He allegedly punched an officer before another used a stun gun.
Police say man was able to run away, but tripped and fell. He was eventually handcuffed.
Evansville police say the man was unresponsive after being turned on his side, but still breathing.
The man was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The officers involved will be placed on three-day administrative leave and an internal investigation will take place.
The Vanderburgh County Coroner’s office is awaiting toxicology reports in its investigation.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Latest report shows Chase still Fort Wayne’s top bank
- Community Grab ‘n Go meal distribution program for elderly ends Friday
- President Trump, GOP AGs accuse social media companies of silencing conservatives
- Watch Live: 2 officers shot in Louisville during protests
- Louisville officer shot, but unclear if tied to protests