WHITING, Ind. (The Times) — A northwestern Indiana city that hosts an annual festival built around a popular Polish delicacy has canceled this summer’s festival because the coronavirus pandemic.
This year’s Pierogi Fest had been scheduled to celebrate the potato-filled dumplings in late July in Whiting, Indiana, about 20 miles southeast of Chicago.
But The (Northwest Indiana) Times reports that festival organizers announced Wednesday they had canceled 2020’s festival after initially saying in March that it would go on as scheduled this year.
Festival Chairman Tom Dabertin says the festival will return next year, but “this is not a good time for celebration.”
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Walmart to expand store hours in November
- Despite Democratic roadblocks, Senate moves forward with Trump’s Supreme Court nomination
- ‘I feel fantastic’: Arnold Schwarzenegger undergoes heart surgery at Cleveland Clinic
- Social media scams surging amid coronavirus pandemic, FTC reports
- Fort Wayne boat maker enjoying record sales through pandemic, and they’re hiring