KOKOMO, Ind. (AP) — An Indiana councilman whose predecessor resigned after posting Islamophobic comments online says he will not step down following backlash for sharing similar views on Facebook.
The Howard County Republican Party selected Roger Stewart to replace Greg Jones on the Kokomo Common Council. Jones resigned Jan. 17 after his Islamophobic and homophobic Facebook posts from 2015 came to light. Stewart shared a post on his Facebook that said Muslims can leave the country if they don’t follow the law.
He told the Kokomo Tribune on Tuesday that he’s sorry for what he said and that he won’t resign.
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 2 Indiana counties lifting mask orders with new CDC guidance
- Armed Forces Day: Walt Disney World honors cast member who served in WWII with flag-raising ceremony
- A look at the (possibly) vulgar origin of the word ‘cocktail’
- This is the biggest contagion spot for COVID in airports
- Historic ‘Mayor’s Mansion’ in San Francisco listed at $11.8M