GARY, Ind. (AP) — A northern Indiana coroner says a body found along Lake Michigan is that of an Illinois man who vanished while boating on the lake.
Porter County Coroner Cyndi Dykes said Monday the body is that of 45-year-old Pawel Knych of Itasca, Illinois. Preliminary findings indicate that he died from blood loss after suffering multiple significant injuries consistent with being struck by a watercraft.
Knych was last seen on Aug. 11 while boating along a beach in Gary . Indiana conservation officers were called to the scene after a 911 caller reported an unmanned boat circling in the water there.
After Knych’s cellphone and life jacket were found with the boat, searchers looked for him using watercraft and helicopters.
His body washed up Friday at West Beach in nearby Portage, Indiana.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- First supermoon of 2021: See the Pink Moon light up the night sky this month
- Protests erupt after Black man killed in Minnesota when police officer fires into his vehicle
- Unusual treatment shows promise for kids with brain tumors
- Las Vegas pushes to become first to ban ornamental grass
- Take a Stan Chess Club is Positively Fort Wayne