A brother of an 81-year-old man killed in a northern Indiana house fire says he had continued smoking even though he was on oxygen because of poor health.
Authorities say flames were coming from the house in a neighborhood near the city of LaPorte when sheriff’s deputies arrived Tuesday morning. The LaPorte County coroner says Charles T. Putchaven died of smoke inhalation and severe burns.
Officials say firefighters found Putchaven’s body after knocking down the flames but his dog was found uninjured.
Putchaven had lived in the house for about four decades. John Putchaven tells The LaPorte County Herald-Argus he appreciated the efforts of emergency workers at his older brother’s home.
The fire’s cause wasn’t immediately determined.
Information from: The La Porte Herald-Argus, http://www.heraldargus.com