Man in custody after hours-long standoff related to child porn investigation


FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – Officers took a man into custody after a four hour standoff that began Thursday morning in the Creighton-Home Neighborhood south of downtown Fort Wayne.

Indiana State Police (ISP) arrived at the home on the 2400 block of South Wayne Avenue around 10:20 a.m. Fort Wayne Police told WANE 15’s Briana Brownlee that ISP came to the home with a search warrant for internet crimes against children involving child pornography.

As detectives were let into the home by the female homeowner, a 26-year-old man retreated into an upstairs bedroom, barricaded himself and began making suicidal threats. Detectives report hearing what they recognized as ammunition being loaded into a shotgun. The detectives then left the house with the homeowner and setup a security perimeter.

The Fort Wayne Police Department Special Operations personnel (SWAT and Crisis Negotiators) were called into to assist in resolving the barricaded situation, taking over tactical operations at approximately 11 a.m. ISP said FWPD Crisis negotiators were able to establish communication with the barricaded gunman just before noon. They communicated with him on and off for nearly two and a half hours before he voluntarily surrendered. 

ISP said that after being repeatedly warned to exit the house unarmed, the man walked out of the house carrying a rifle. FWPD SWAT officers report successfully employing less lethal munitions, causing him to drop the rifle and immediately gained his voluntary compliance. 

The man was taken into custody without further incident around 2:30 p.m., then transported to an area hospital where he will be held pending a 72 hour mental medical evaluation.

Detectives report being able to conduct and complete their search of the residence after the barricade situation was resolved.

Some of WANE 15’s viewers asked why it took police hours to enter the home, since there were no hostages.

“It’s not a process of just waiting,” said Sgt. Brian Walker, spokesman for ISP. “During that time we’ve got negotiators that are communicating with the barricaded person and trying to resolve the situation peacefully, which is standard practice. Fort Wayne negotiators are really good at what they do, they did a great job at getting this guy to finally come out the house.”

The criminal investigation remains ongoing.  No custodial arrest, nor criminal charges related to the investigation have been filed yet.  Therefore the identity of the involved man shall remain withheld pending. 

Once the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the Allen County Prosecutor’s Officer for review and determination of any criminal charges to be filed.      

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss