FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – Police are investigating a shooting on Fort Wayne’s southeast side that left a man critically hurt Monday afternoon.
Fort Wayne Police and medics were called around 2:30 p.m. to the 5100 block of Bowser Avenue, near East Fairfax Avenue south of East Pettit Avenue, on a report of a shooting.
According to police, a caller reported hearing “mutliple” gunshots in the area. Officers arrived to find a man down behind a home suffering from a a gunshot or shots, police said.
Medics took him to a local hospital in critical condition, police said.
In a report, police said they received “conflicting accounts” about suspect information and what occurred.
“Detectives are diligently chasing all leads and trying to put the pieces together about what happened while the crime scene is being processed thoroughly,” the release said.
At the scene, police had crime scene tape blocking the roadway, with a mail truck inside. Several squad cars were at the scene.
The incident remains under investigation by the Fort Wayne Police Department and the Allen County Prosecutor’s Office.
- Powerball: Here are Monday’s winning numbers for estimated $613M jackpot
- Several squirrel monkeys stolen from Louisiana zoo: police
- ‘I had cervical cancer while pregnant:’ Woman shares story to save a life
- ‘Politics are already in school board races:’ Allen County officials weigh in on proposed state bill
- Amazon Fresh grocery deliveries are about to get more expensive