Police: Fugitive who tried to run over deputy caught


Vincent H. Chilcote

STEUBEN COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) — The search for a fugitive who reportedly tried to run over a deputy has ended after he was taken into custody by authorities, the Steuben County Sheriff’s Office announced.

According to the Steuben County Sheriff, 21-year-old Vincent H. Chilcote was located at a residence in the 10000 block of East U.S. 20 just after 8 a.m. and was taken into custody by authorities in LaGrange County without incident.

The location is near East Springfield United Methodist Church and two miles from Prairie Heights High School. The school superintendent tells WANE 15 all events for Saturday at the high school have been canceled including a volleyball and soccer tournament.

The LaGrange County Sheriff’s Office said a member of the public called 911 to report that Chilcote was again in that location around 7:30 a.m. Saturday and were able to apprehend him.

Chilcote was housed in the Steuben County Jail after seeking treatment for injuries he sustained during the incident he was involved in on Friday.

Police in Steuben County had been searching for Chilcote after he reportedly tried to run over a deputy early Friday, forcing the officer to fire at the vehicle “to protect his own life,” police said.

According to a news release from the Steuben County Sheriff’s Office, deputies went to the West Otter Lake Public Access Site off of U.S. 20 near S.R. 327 in rural Jackson Township around 1:30 a.m. on a tip that Chilcote was there. Chilcote was wanted out of Steuben, LaGrange, and Noble Counties on multiple warrants, including a failure to appear warrant in Steuben County on a charge of burglary with a deadly weapon.

Deputies arrived at the access site and spotted two vehicles, with Chilcote found in a Chevrolet pickup. As deputies tried to take him into custody, Chilcote reported tried to drive off, the sheriff’s office said.

In the process, the sheriff’s office said Chilcote tried to run over one of the deputies. At that point, the deputy fired at the pickup “to protect his own life,” striking the vehicle with rounds, the sheriff’s office said.

The pickup drove off and went into a bean field, with deputies in pursuit. Chilcote then got out of the vehicle and ran off, the sheriff’s office said.

He was lost at that point.

Chilcote was considered armed and dangerous, the sheriff’s office said.

The sheriff’s office did not identify the deputy who fired the shots. The deputy has been placed on administrative leave, as is the department’s policy, pending a full investigation.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss