FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) — An 18-year-old shot by a Fort Wayne Police officer after he reportedly pulled a gun on a woman in a south Fort Wayne neighborhood Wednesday has died.

Fort Wayne Police were called just after 1 p.m. to the 400 block of Poplar Street, at Hoagland Avenue, on a report of a disturbance involving an armed person, according to the police activity log.

Police at the scene told WANE 15 that a woman reported a male pulled a gun on her.

When the responding officer arrived, he located a man who matched the caller’s description. That officer gave verbal commands, but the man did not comply. The man then brandished a weapon, according to police.

At that point, Officer Andrew Fry shot the man, and officers provided medical aid to the suspect until an EMS arrived.

Police initially told WANE 15 the suspect was taken from the scene in stable condition, but police later sent a release saying the suspect was transported to a local hospital in life-threatening condition.

He would die in the operating room, according to a report Thursday from the Allen County Coroner’s Office.

The man was identified as 18-year-old Wyatt Beckler of Fort Wayne. An autopsy confirmed he died of a gunshot wound and his death was ruled a homicide.

Officer Daniel Nerzig told WANE 15 he wasn’t sure if the man had a gun or not, and he wasn’t sure if the man fired a shot at officers.

Officer Nerzig said no Fort Wayne Police Officers were injured, and police say several witnesses were identified and are cooperating with the situation.

Officer Fry was placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure, police said.

Fry is an 8-year veteran of the department assigned to the southeast division. His personnel record shows three commendations over his career, including a Distinguished Service Citation for Valor in 2018. He was disciplined twice for police vehicle accidents.

The incident remains under investigation by the Fort Wayne Police Department, Indiana State Police and the Allen County Prosecuting Office.