Man, 31, still critical after shooting; suspect arrested


FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) A Fort Wayne man was critically hurt in a shooting near downtown Fort Wayne late morning Wednesday, and police arrested a suspect four hours later.

Fort Wayne Police and medics were called around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday to the intersection of State Boulevard and Spy Run Avenue. Dispatchers would only tell NewsChannel 15 that officers were responding to a shooting there and that a victim was in critical condition.

Police spokesman Michael Joyner told NewsChannel 15 that the shooting did not happen in the lot, but rather in the 1000 block of Lake Avenue, near downtown. He said the driver of the Scion was picking his friend up to go get lunch, and as he was getting into the car, a shot was fired through an open car window.

It’s not clear where that unfolded or if the shooter was in that car or another car.

After the shooting, the driver panicked and drove himself and the victim to the lot of the Downtown Self Storage at State and Spy Run, where he stopped and called 911, Joyner said. Medics picked the victim up there.

Fort Wayne Police work near the intersection of Paulding Road and Winter Street on Wednesday, Oct. 25, 2017.

He was identified as 31-year-old Brian Anthony Lowe, Jr. of Fort Wayne. He remained in critical condition on Thursday.

Police had an orange and black Scion coupe in the lot of the Downtown Self Storage wrapped in caution tape. Dozens of officers were investigating. The car was towed just after noon and the scene was cleared.

Meanwhile, police spent the early afternoon searching multiple locations for a suspect, first at the Lake Avenue address then on Gladstone Drive off South Anthony Boulevard, where the suspect reportedly lived. Finally, police gathered near the intersection of East Paulding Road and Winter Street on the city’s southeast side.

It was at that last location one man emerged from a home, crawling on his hands and knees, and was taken into custody around 3:15 p.m. DeeDee W. Barnett, 38, of Fort Wayne was arrested on a preliminary charge of aggravated battery.

Barnett’s uncle, too, was taken into custody at the home, but it’s not clear what his role was.

In an interview with police, Barnett admitted to shooting Lowe after the two had “gotten into it” earlier Wednesday and Lowe was swinging a bat around the front yard, according to a probable cause affidavit. Barnett said Lowe had “caused chaos in the neighborhood” and “yelled at people.”

Barnett said after he’d gotten into it with Lowe, he approached him as he was getting into a vehicle and shot him.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss