Trine manhandles Manchester 55-7 in season opener

College Sports

Seniors Lamar Carswell (Toledo, Ohio/St. Francis de Sales) and Marcus Winters (Toledo, Ohio/Central Catholic) both moved up in the Trine University football record books with their efforts in a 55-7 win against Manchester University in the season and home opener at Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium.

Carswell finished the game with three rushing touchdowns and one receiving (four total) to put him at the top of the all-time standings in both points scored (290) and touchdowns scored (48).  Marcus Winters picked up where he left off last season and was one of four defensive players to record an interception against the Spartans.  His interception now gives him 19 in his career, tying him for the all-time lead.

The Trine offense accounted for 456 yards of total offense, including 395 yards on the ground.  The Thunder defense also had a big day, holding Manchester to just 209 yards of offense (113 rushing and 96 passing), including a pair of defensive touchdowns on two interceptions that were returned for scores by senior Cayleel Hill (Owings Mills, Md./Owings Mills) and junior Hunter Hiatt (Summittville, Ind./Madison-Grant).  In total, the defense would intercept four passes to go along with a fumble recovery for five takeways on the night.

Carswell led all rushers with 162 yards on 13 carries (12.5 yards per game) and his three scores.  Junior quarterback Brandon Winters (Toledo, Ohio/Central Catholic) recorded most of his game’s 68 yards rushing on a 58 yard scamper for a TD in the first quarter.  

Senior QB Andrew Duckett (Niles, Mich./Brandywine) completed five-of-six passes for 61 yards and also rushed for 49 yards on six carries (8.2 ypc.).  He also recorded one passing TD and one rushing TD.

The leading tackler for Trine was sophomore Sam Cavanaugh (Muncie, Ind./Central) who had seven total stops (four solo and three assists).  In addition to inteceptions by Hill, Marcus Winters and Hiatt, senior Robert Riley (Mendon, Mich./Mendon) recorded the other INT.  Hiatt also had the team’s fumble recovery.

Trine (1-0) wasted no time in taking control of the game by scoring 27 points in the first quarter.  After receiving the opening kickoff, the Thunder marched 65 yards in six plays to get on the scoreboard first with a 14-yard completion from Duckett to Carswell.  Following a three-and-out by Manchester (0-1) on its first possession of the game, Trine scored again, this time on a four-yard TD run by Carswell to end a six-play, 60-yard drive.  Marcus Wintersthen recorded his “pick” on the very next Spartan drive which led to another Trine score when Brandon Winters broke free on a QB run for 58 yards to make the score 20-0 with 5:52 to go in the opening frame.  Manchester got an offense spark following the Brandon Winters‘ score and drove all the way to the Trine 12-yard line.  But the Spartans would be forced into a field goal attempt that ended in an interception thrown by the Manchester kicker and was returned by Hill who had nothing but open field in front of him for the 90-yard return as the Thunder lead 27-0 after the first 15 minutes.

In a drive that carried over into the second quarter, Manchester got just outside the redzone before another drive ended, this time on a fourth down play that kept the Spartans scoreless.  On the very first play of the ensuing Trine drive, Carswell broke for a 41-yard run and then two plays later, scored from 33 yards out to make it a 34-0 ball game.  Later in the period, Manchester found itself with an excellent scoring opportunity with the ball at the Trine one-yard line after a fumble on a pitch play that was recovered by the Spartans.  The Trine defense then shined by keeping Manchester out of the endzone on four straight plays from a yard out.  The Spartans got another excellent chance when another Trine fumble on its next drive following the goal line stand, gave the ball back to the Spartans at the Trine nine-yard line.  This time, Manchester took advantage and scored on a nine-yard pass play to end the possible shutout, 34-7, at the break.

Trine scored on its first drive of the second half that saw four straight running plays by Carswell and ended with a 19-yard run to paydirt to increase the margin to 41-7.  The final two scores in the period were both scored by Trine when Duckett scored from two-yards out at the 6:24 mark and was folowed by Hiatt’s interception that he returned 26 yards for the score.

Neither team scored any additional points in the final quarter as the Thunder cruised to the 55-7 final.

Trine will remain home and take on Bluffton University next Saturday, Sept. 8 at Zollner Stadium.  Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss