WANE, the news and weather leader in Fort Wayne, is currently seeking a full-time on-air and online meteorologist/MMJ to join our weather team. The ideal candidate offers a passion for telling the weather story on all media platforms using the best of radar and High Definition broadcast weather technology. Candidate will be able to produce news content. Must possess reporting, shooting, writing, and editing abilities. Weekend coverage and weekday flexibility to include weather-related reporting and severe weather reporting are required. Must have a degree in meteorology or related sciences
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Produce and present weather/news reports for all platforms.
- Ensures that all weather/news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
- Writes and delivers weather / news stories in a clear and concise manner.
- Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
- Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
- Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
- Participates in promotional activities including six public appearances a year.
- Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
- Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
- The MMVJ part of the job includes reporting three days a week.
- Help with weekly podcast and content for it.
- Ability to shoot pictures and edit stories from beginning to end.
- Winning candidate will be posting on the web and social media.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
- Entry level to 2 years’ experience in weather presentation and reporting preferred.
- Must be able to shoot video and perform non-linear editing. Ability to write story from beginning to end.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong understanding of the field of Meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Flexibility to work any shift.
The Meteorologist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Meteorologist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
ALL applicants must apply on-line at: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar. Please upload resume, work samples and references.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.