"The Heat" is hot, but it was "Monsters University" who came out on top at the weekend box office.
The Disney-Pixar animated prequel earned $45.6 million in first place in its second weekend, while the Fox action-comedy starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy as mismatched detectives debuted in second place with $39.1 million.
"World War Z," the Paramount zombie thriller featuring Brad Pitt, earned $29.7 million in third place in its second weekend.
Sony's "White House Down," which features Channing Tatum as a wannabe Secret Service agent and Jamie Foxx as the president of the United States of America, launched in fourth place with $24.8 million.
The top 20 movies at U.S. and Canadian theaters Friday through Sunday, followed by distribution studio, gross, number of theater locations, average receipts per location, total gross and number of weeks in release, as compiled Monday by Hollywood.com, are:
1. "Monsters University," Disney, $45,607,745, 4,004 locations, $11,391 average, $170,433,193, two weeks.
2. "The Heat," Fox, $39,115,043, 3,181 locations, $12,296 average, $39,115,043, one week.
3. "World War Z," Paramount, $29,774,625, 3,607 locations, $8,255 average, $123,696,919, two weeks.
4. "White House Down," Sony, $24,852,258, 3,222 locations, $7,713 average, $24,852,258, one week.
5. "Man of Steel," Warner Bros., $20,737,490, 4,131 locations, $5,020 average, $248,577,596, three weeks.
6. "This Is the End," Sony, $8,700,827, 2,710 locations, $3,211 average, $74,681,836, three weeks.
7. "Now You See Me," Lionsgate, $5,612,267, 2,564 locations, $2,189 average, $104,792,858, five weeks.
8. "Fast & Furious 6," Universal, $2,448,995, 1,550 locations, $1,580 average, $233,351,765, six weeks.
9. "Star Trek: Into Darkness," Paramount, $2,100,458, 1,035 locations, $2,029 average, $220,561,325, seven weeks.
10. "The Internship," Fox, $1,431,710, 1,008 locations, $1,420 average, $41,711,796, four weeks.
11. "Iron Man 3," Disney, $1,361,149, 540 locations, $2,521 average, $405,393,205, nine weeks.
12. "The Purge," Universal, $1,228,595, 1,122 locations, $1,095 average, $62,791,315, four weeks.
13. "Bling Ring, The," A24 Films, $837,045, 630 locations, $1,329 average, $4,350,350, three weeks.
14. "Epic," Fox, $820,608, 774 locations, $1,060 average, $103,010,133, six weeks.
15. "Before Midnight," Spc, $635,468, 290 locations, $2,191 average, $5,712,759, six weeks.
16. "Much Ado About Nothing," Lionsgate, $572,663, 217 locations, $2,639 average, $2,168,780, four weeks.
17. "The Croods," Fox, $467,171, 307 locations, $1,522 average, $184,419,441, 15 weeks.
18. "The Great Gatsby," Warner Bros., $387,391, 255 locations, $1,519 average, $142,376,067, eight weeks.
19. "The Hangover Part III," Warner Bros., $346,906, 277 locations, $1,252 average, $110,707,335, six weeks.
20. "After Earth," Sony, $323,297, 331 locations, $977 average, $58,247,367, five weeks.
Universal and Focus are owned by NBC Universal, a unit of Comcast Corp.; Sony, Columbia, Sony Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics are units of Sony Corp.; Paramount is owned by Viacom Inc.; Disney, Pixar and Marvel are owned by The Walt Disney Co.; Miramax is owned by Filmyard Holdings LLC; 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are owned by News Corp.; Warner Bros. and New Line are units of Time Warner Inc.; MGM is owned by a group of former creditors including Highland Capital, Anchorage Advisors and Carl Icahn; Lionsgate is owned by Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.; IFC is owned by AMC Networks Inc.; Rogue is owned by Relativity Media LLC.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A doctor who provides abortions in Fort Wayne is losing his relationship with a local obstetrician and gynecologist who serves as a "back-up" physician.
Lutheran Health Network CEO Brian Bauer received the prestigious Sagamore of the Wabash award at a ceremony Thursday afternoon.
Santa abandoned his traditional sleigh and arrived at Lutheran Children's Hospital in a fire truck.
Fort Wayne Animal Care and Control was busy Thursday afternoon responding to complaints of pets outside. Crews respond to every complaint in the hopes of preventing pets from freezing.
U.S. Census data shows that one Fort Wayne neighborhood is among the poorest in the state, and it the poverty rate has a direct correlation the rising crime statistics.
It was something that was never supposed to happen. A veteran who killed a woman in Indianapolis then took his own life was buried with full military honors. Since that day, the victim's family has been advocating against it.
The house fire affected traffic on U.S. 33 just north of Churubusco for over an hour. All lanes were back open less than two hours after the fire was called in.
Police said speed appeared to be a factor in a crash that all the occupants of the car seriously injured.
Three intersections on the north side of the city will have new left-turn signals that with a flashing yellow arrow. The new signals will be activated in January.
A plan is in the works to move Cindy's Diner from its current location in downtown Fort Wayne to another location one block northwest from its current location. The iconic restaurant has been a fixture downtown since 1990.
Former Komets executive, owner, general manager and coach Ken Ullyot passed away Thursday, Dec. 12, 2013, in Fort Wayne, Indiana, at the age of 92.
The organization claims such legislation would hamper the city's ability to grow economically and that Fort Wayne should be "competitive on a national level and be recognized as a community that thrives on diversity, innovation, and inclusion,”
A state commission seeking ways to improve the lives of Indiana's most vulnerable children is forming a task force to investigate whether there's a link between methamphetamine arrests and child welfare cases.
Scammers are claiming to be from a law enforcement agency and are threatening to arrest victims if they don't pay the fine for an alleged crime or debt.
The free course will go over the laws and regulations about squirrel hunting and will teach attendees how to field dress and prepare squirrels for the table.