FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) Police have arrested a second person in connection to a string of apartment robberies that happened in Fort Wayne in January.
Timeline: January apartment robberies and attempts
The Fort Wayne Police Department arrested Corey L. Harris, 21, of Fort Wayne on Tuesday. Harris faces two charges, receiving stolen property and obstruction of justice.
Police found evidence that connected Harris to a January 8 robbery at the Autumn Creek apartments on Ardmore Avenue when they executed a search warrant at his home.
Police believe that Harris helped in disposing of property taken during the January 8 robbery.
Police: Group of four responsible for most of January Robberies
On February 12, police announced they linked Devonte M. Hamlet , 20, of Fort Wayne, to one more armed robbery after he had been arrested for a January 10 robbery at the Island Club Apartment Complex.
Detectives told NewsChannel 15 they believed Hamlet was one in a group of four people who possibly worked together and were responsible for the majority of January's string of apartment robberies. Hamlet appeared in court on Tuesday for the first time, the same day as Harris' arrest. Hamlet will be in court again on Wednesday at which time a judge will set a trial date and determine his bond.
The Fort Wayne Police Department continues to investigate the apartment robberies and encourages apartment residents to remain vigilant.
January apartment robberies and attempts
Police responded to at least 13 different robberies or robbery attempts at Fort Wayne apartment complexes between January 7 and January 18. Hamlet has been linked to the two January 10 robberies by the Fort Wayne Police Department.
- January 7, 2013, 10:58 p.m. - 5100 block of Stonehedge Blvd, Canterbury Apartments: A man and woman reported being approached by two men at the entrance of the apartment building. Both men had guns and took the victims' iPhones, purse, wallet, credit cards, and cash. No injuries were reported at the scene.
- January 8, 2013, 12:00 a.m. – 2000 block of Ardmore Ave., Autumn Creek Apartment Complex: A woman told police two men walked into the apartment building with her, one brandishing a gun. The two men forced her into her apartment. One man held a gun on the woman while the other searched the apartment. A wallet with credit cards and cash, and a notebook computer were reported stolen. No injuries were reported at the scene.
- January 8, 2013, 9:18 p.m. – 5400 block of N. Clinton St., Gardenview Apartments: A man said he was approached by two men with guns at his car in the parking lot. They robbed him of his iPhone, wallet, and keys. No injuries were reported at the scene.
- January 8, 2013, 9:34 p.m. – 5400 block of N. Clinton St., Gardenview Apartments: A woman said one man with a gun approached her at her car and robbed her of her purse that contained her wallet, credit cards, cash, and other personal items. No injuries were reported at the scene.
- January 8, 2013, 8:24 p.m. – 6400 block of Covington Rd., Colony Bay Apartments: A woman said two men with guns approached her as she was checking for mail at the mailbox. Her purse and cell phone were taken. No injuries were reported at the scene.
- January 8, 2013, 9:05 p.m. – 2100 block of Ardmore Ave., Autumn Creek Apartment Complex: A man said he was forced into his house at gunpoint by two men. Various household items were taken. No injuries were reported at the scene.
- January 10, 2013, 9:30 p.m. – 2300 block of East Wallen Rd., Island Club Apartment Complex. Two armed black men in their late-teens or early 20s, wearing dark clothing, forced a woman into her apartment. They bound the hands of the three occupants in the apartment and threatened to kill them if they called police. Police said they took a television, wallets, and cell phones. None of the occupants were injured.
- January 10, 11:30 p.m. – 7500 block of Coldsprings Blvd. Cambridge Square Apartments. Similar description as 9:30 incident. The suspects also bound the hands of all the occupants of this apartment. The two men collected several items from the apartment before leaving. One of the victims managed to free himself and fired upon the fleeing men.
- January 12, 2013 7:20 p.m. – 6500 block of Covington Rd. Colony Bay Apartments. A man living in the Colony Bay complex ran away when he was approached by a suspect. He said he was chased down and hit in the back two times with a long gun. Both suspects ran off empty-handed when a woman yelled that she was calling police.
- January 12, 2013 9:05 p.m. – 5100 block of Stonehedge Blvd, Canterbury Apartments. A suspect pointed a gun at a resident and told him to get on the ground. The suspect got away with the victim's phone and cash.
- January 15, 2013 12:00 a.m. – 5200 block of Stonehedge Blvd, Canterbury Apartments. A woman was approached as she exited